It is the responsibility of the student to make his or her disability known and to request academic or physical accommodations. Requests should be made in a timely manner to the Disability Services Coordinator and every reasonable effort will be made to provide services.
The process for obtaining accommodations is as follows:
- Gain admission to Southwestern Community College (SCC). Take College Placement Tests. Attend Orientation. Please note: If you need an accommodation for the College Placement Tests or for New Student Orientation, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator prior to your scheduled test/orientation event.
- Meet with assigned advisor to register for classes.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Disability Services Coordinator.
- Fill out a Request for Disability Services form. Download this file (.pdf) by clicking on the link to the Request for Disability Services form at the bottom of this page.
- Provide current documentation of your disability (see Documentation Guidelines for more information on appropriate and acceptable documentation).
- Once a Request for Services form and documentation are received and reviewed, you will work with the Disability Service Coordinator to determine necessary accommodations and initiate an Educational Support Plan (ESP).
- The Disability Services Coordinator will write up and prepare the written Educational Support Plan (ESP).
- You will then be responsible for delivering the ESP to your instructors and discussing it with them.
- The Disability Services Coordinator will be available for consultations with faculty and meetings with students and faculty upon request.
For more information, contact the Student Disability Services Coordinator at 828.339.4326.