Rights and Responsibilities: Institution/Faculty/Student
Southwestern Community College has a right to:
- Set and maintain standards for admission, enrollment, and student behavior.
- Request documentation of disability for any student requesting accommodations.
Southwestern Community College has a responsibility to:
- Provide reasonable accommodations for all students with disabilities
- Remove barriers—physical or otherwise.
- Ensure nondiscrimination in all policies and practices of the College.
Instructors have the right to:
- Maintain the fundamental nature of course content.
- Require students to demonstrate knowledge of fundamental course content.
- Negotiate an accommodation if it doesn’t seem reasonable.
- Request verification of eligibility of accommodation.
Instructors have a responsibility to:
- Implement best practices to reach a diversity of learners.
- Share information with students on how to request accommodations and access services.
- Work with the Disability Services Coordinator to implement accommodations in a timely manner.
- Be aware of campus resources.
- Maintain confidentiality of student disability information and respect student privacy.
Students have a right to:
- Participate in higher education if they are qualified for admission.
- Equal access to academic content and educational opportunities.
- Participate in student activities.
- Reasonable accommodations.
- File a formal complaint if they feel discrimination has occurred.
- Confidentiality of all disability-related information.
Students have a responsibility to:
- Provide appropriate documentation of disability.
- Advocate for their own learning needs.
- Connect with Disability Services and other campus resources.
- Seek a reasonable accommodation in a timely manner.