HOLT LIBRARY - ITS COLLECTIONS AND SERVICES
- Holt Library is located on the south end of campus in an energy-efficient building of 11,000 square feet with 120 seating spaces divided into three study zones (collaborative, quiet, and silent).
- The building houses a 40,000 collection of books, periodicals, microfilm, audiovisuals and online databases, as well as a networked computer lab with 24 workstations and 8 wireless laptops. All workstations and laptops are loaded with Microsoft Office 2007.
- The book collection currently has 31,000 volumes that relate directly to academic course offerings, along with fiction, North Carolina special collection, general-interest titles, and a reference section of specialized resources, legal references, and literary criticism.
- The Library subscribes to 170 magazines and newspapers, with bound volumes of magazines and microfilm. The audiovisual media collection includes audiotapes, videotapes, DVDs and CD-ROMs that may be used in the study rooms.
- Instructors, students, and clubs may schedule the conference/instructional room, one instructional/study room, and one tutorial room.
- The Library provides services and library cards to local community residents with a driver’s license.
- The library website is accessible to students via MySCC login and selecting the library tab. This is an excellent starting point for finding research sources and learning about the library’s services and resources.
- CCLINC is the online consortium of 46 community college libraries across North Carolina that shares its collections with registered users. Users may request materials from these libraries and the library receives them by mail in about a week. Nationwide interlibrary loan services are also available by contacting library staff. All library materials must be returned by the end of each semester and accounts cleared before students will be allowed to register, graduate or receive a transcript.
- NC LIVE, a collection of 108 online databases, provides full-text and subject indexing for magazine articles, national and local newspapers, professional and business journals, research articles, scholarly publications and reference sources. NC LIVE is accessible through the Library website and offers indexing for over 25,000 journals and reference materials, with full-text articles for over 16,000 periodical titles. NCLIVE passwords are available via MySCC login and selecting the Library tab.
- NC KNOWS: This 24/7 reference chat service, available at http://www.NCKnows.org, connects students to a librarian to give you answers, articles and more.
INSTRUCTION and HOURS
- Research workshops are offered to classes upon faculty request and can be customized for current assignments. Research assistance for individuals is always available upon request.
- Library Hours when college classes are in session: Monday through Thursday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm; Friday 8:00 am to 4:00.
- Library Hours when college classes are not in session: Mon – Thu 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Fri 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- If the College is closed for a holiday or emergency weather conditions, the Library is also closed.