Please join us for the Fall 2014 TOPs professional development presentations.
SO YOU'RE GOING TO A MEETING!
Kirk Stephens, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Bradford Hall Conference Center
A simplified approach to Robert's Rules of Order for committee chairs and members.
- What are Robert's Rules?
- Why follow Robert's Rules?
- What is the basic order of business for SC committees?
- How can I be a better committee member?
- What if I am asked to chair a committee?
SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS (SAP) - HELPING STUDENTS KEEP FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY
Melody Lawrence, Tuesday, Oct. 21, 3 - 4 p.m., Burrell Building, Conference Rooms C & D
Everything you ever wanted to know about Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Learn how to factor in SAP components when registering a student.
- Learn how to help students anticipate SAP problems when requesting a withdrawal.
- Increase awareness of when to send students to the Financial Aid Office for consultation.
Johnathan Dean, Friday, Oct. 31, 9 - 10 a.m., Burrell Building, Conference Rooms A & B
Tools and tricks from both basic and intermediate levels of Excel will be presented. In addition participants will learn how to create and use a pivot table.
- Demonstrate what tools are available to make your life easier with data.
- Show some of the common tools used daily.
- Demonstrate how easy Pivot Tables are to create and use.
GOOGLE-A-PALOOZA, PART II
Scott Baker, Friday, Oct. 31, 10:15 - 11:15 a.m., Burrell Building, Conference Rooms A & B
Leveraging Google Drive, Docs, forms, & YouTube for instructors and staff.
- How to use Google Apps to improve organization, collaboration, and presentation.
ENHANCING TEACHING & LEARNING BY USING CHAIR-BASED YOGA
Jennifer Ashlock, Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2 - 3 p.m., Burrell Building, Room 202
This workshop will help participants understand how simple chair-based yoga may help alleviate stressors.
No special clothing, prior yoga experience, or props are required.
- Learn how mindful, gentle chair-based yoga helps release physical and mental stressors to enhance concentration and mental focus
- Experience a 25-minute chair based yoga session
- Receive/review instructions for and applications of chair-based yoga in the classroom, office, and home.
TOP TEN STRATEGIES TO IMPROVE STUDENT LEARNING IN ONLINE AND TRADITIONAL CLASSES
Deanne Oppermann, Friday, Dec. 5, 9 - 10 a.m., Burrell Building, Conference Rooms A & B
The top ten techniques to enhance student learning with several documented improved learning results will be presented. Many of these strategies will also improve critical thinking.
- Faculty/Staff will understand how each of my top ten strategies were used to improve student learning in my online/traditional chemistry courses.
- Faculty/Staff will be able to use this professional development opportunity to enhance their existing online/traditional course.
SCRATCHING THE SURFACE
Matthew Cass, Friday, Dec. 5, 10:15 - 11:15 a.m., Burrell Building, Conference Rooms A & B
Scratch is a visual programming language developed to foster programming skills.
- Gain logic based critical thinking skills inherent to programming, learn advanced modeling and problem solving skills,and increase proficiency in writing and understanding a computer program.