Skip to main content

Transcript Evaluations and Earned Credits

Transcript Evaluations

High School transcripts will be processed by the Registrar’s Office, and evaluated if the student has VoCATS scores along with corresponding coursework. The information will be noted in the student’s SCC record. Transcripts from postsecondary institutions will be processed and evaluated by the Registrar’s Office.

Transfer of Earned Credit

Applicants to degree, diploma or certificate programs who want credit for coursework completed at other post-secondary institutions are responsible for having an official transcript from each institution submitted directly to the Registrar’s Office. Courses with a grade of “C” or higher may be accepted if the courses are applicable to the program selected at this college and were earned at a regionally accredited college, university, community college or technical institute.

Credits transferred to Southwestern Community College from another institution will be recognized as hours toward the appropriate degree, diploma or certificate but will not be calculated toward the cumulative grade point average (GPA) for that program.

All official transcripts submitted to the Registrar’s Office prior to a student’s enrollment will be evaluated for transfer credit before registration, if possible, and no later than the end of the first semester of enrollment.

Transfer of “Credit by Exam” will not exceed more than one-half of degree requirements and must be approved by the dean or coordinator of the appropriate program.

Previously Earned Credit

Course work completed in technical areas more than six (6) years prior to beginning of a degree, diploma, or certificate may be credited only with the approval of the respective dean. General education credit ten (10) years old or older may be subject to dean and/or departmental review. In some cases, credit may be awarded if the student passes a competency test. The age of course work is reviewed for both previously earned credit at SCC and course work being transferred into the College.

Click here to visit the Registrar's Office Homepage.

Transfer Students

Students transferring to SCC from other institutions must follow the application process outlined above in the sidebar link "Application Information".

Transfer Agreements

Parallel coursework completed at Southwestern Community College will transfer into other institutions in the NC Community College System and to most senior institutions in the region. The college has formal transfer agreements and specific curriculum transfer agreements with many senior institutions in and beyond western North Carolina. Coursework in the College Transfer Associate of Arts curriculum will satisfy general education and liberal arts requirements at most four-year colleges and universities. 

See the programs that have established Transfer Agreements between SCC and other four year universities.

If you are using assistive technology and cannot access this information, please contact the webmaster to request an alternative format.