Resumes and Job Searching
First, attend workshops and seminars to gain knowledge and skills.Each semester, there will be opportunities to learn about important career topics. These range from dining etiquette to resume writing - you can even practice your skills in mock interviews. Take advantage of these resources that will give an edge in job search preparation.
- Write and build a resume, and then ask for a critique in the Career Center. Don't let a poorly constructed resume with grammatical errors derail your job search. View a resume-writing tutorial under ONLINE PRESENTATIONS.
- Develop your 30-second commercial to introduce yourself to potential employers.
- Learn about networking, telephone interviews, and other job-related information.
- Participate in mock interview opportunities and use the Perfect Interview.
- RESUME SAMPLES AND RESOURCES:
- Resume Writing Presentation
- Sample Resume
- Ten Resume Tips
- RESUME WRITING WITH A CAREER COUNSELOR: A Learning Guide for Programs, Classes, and Individuals
- To receive guidance from SCC's career counselor regarding a strategically-focused, professional resume, preparing for an interview, building a LinkedIn presence, or other aspects of your job search, make an appointment for Individual Career Counseling.
- Participate in an open classroom and get self-paced assistance with writing a resume, interviewing, earning a career readiness certificate, and other career development tasks in the Job and Career Preparation Lab offered by Educational Opportunities.
- Attend the SCC Fall and Spring hiring events/job fairs to meet employers, and keep checking the SCC Job Board for current job listings, and don't hesitate to call the Career Center at 828.339.4212 for more information.
- USE CAREER CENTER RESOURCES: