Skip to main content

Complaint/Grievance Procedures


Any individual wishing to file a complaint or grievance with SCC must use the Student Complaint Information Sheet and Form, (pdf, link opens in new page), or hardcopy form that can be found in each Deans’ office. Individuals are encouraged to resolve concerns or grievances at the informal level with the individual(s) involved, as outlined in Policy 6.03.05.  If the grievance cannot be resolved at the informal level, a formal grievance may be filed in writing with the supervising dean. The written grievance must contain with specificity the facts supporting the grievance and the attempt to resolve the grievance at the informal level. In order to be considered, a formal grievance must be submitted in writing using the Student Complaint Information Sheet and Form (pdf, link opens in new page), signed and two copies sent to: Southwestern Community College, 447 College Drive, Sylva, NC 28779 in c/o the Dean of the area in which the complaint is against or submission can be made from the SCC student email to the appropriate Dean. The complaint must be postmarked or timestamped within five (5) business days of the conclusion of the informal grievance conference with the faculty/staff member. SCC will entertain neither complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous. In addition, the College will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to the College. Formal grievance resolution will be followed as outlined in Policy 6.03.05.
In filing a grievance, individuals should first refer to the related policy or procedure found online, in the student handbook, or SCC catalog.

Examples  of  an Academic Grievance Grievance submitted to:
Classroom instruction Appropriate Academic Dean: Barb Putman - Arts and Sciences; Danell Moses - Career TechnologiesMelissa Hyatt - Health Sciences; Curtis Dowdle - Public Safety Training
Classroom syllabi
Student Code of Conduct violations, academic in nature
Examples of a Non-Academic Grievance Grievance submitted to:
Personal Records (FERPA) Mark Ellison, Dean of Students (828.339.4245)
Student Life
Student Services
Disability Services
Student Code of Conduct violations, non-academic in nature
Sexual Harassment
Parking or facilities Lisa Kim Fisher, VP for Financial and Administrative Services



If students are unable to resolve a complaint against SCC through the college's own grievance processes, there are other agencies listed below that students may appeal to, including the state of North Carolina.




  • The North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit.
NCCCS grievance process - Filing a Complaint Against the College After Completing the College's Grievance Procedure. 

After a student has exhausted the college's complaint grievance procedure, if a matter remains unresolved, a formal complaint may be filed with the online Student Complaint Portal. The Portal is hosted by the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit. 

The North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit can be contacted at:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
223 S. West Street, Suite 1800
Raleigh NC 27603
(919) 962-4550. 
Additionally the NCCCS Compliant/Grievance Procedure information can be found using the website information below:
  • SARA-NC (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina)
Contact Information:
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
c/o SARA North Carolina
P.O. Box 41349
Raleigh, NC 27629
Phone contact: (855) SARA1NC, toll free  or (855) 727-2162, toll free

SARA-NC Complaint Process
SARA-NC Complaint Form

  • Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC) Complaint Process

If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Policy and Form.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033

  • Filing out-of-state complaints (for non NC-SARA states)

SCC has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA). However, NC-SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for any courses or programs leading to professional licensure. Please click the following link to file a complaint within your home state: Student Complaint Information by State and Agency

What about licensure programs offered by Southwestern Community College?

If you are considering enrolling in a degree program at Southwestern Community College that leads to licensure or certification and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the individual below that corresponds to your program of interest to discuss licensure options prior to beginning your course of study.

Melissa Hyatt - Dean of Health Sciences (EMS, Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Opticianry, Physical Therapy Assistant, Radiography, and Respiratory Therapy)
800.447.4091, ext. 4331 or

Randy McCall - Cosmetology Program Coordinator/Instructor
800.447.4091, ext. 4238 or

The links below lead to contact information for licensure in other states:

Similar information can be found regarding short term, continuing education programs on the Workforce Continuing Education Professional Licensure page.

This information is updated annually each Spring.  Although we strive to connect you with the best information possible, Southwestern Community College encourages students to confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina prior to enrolling.  Contact your faculty advisor for assistance in this process.

Further information can be found on our State Authorization Page.  

Questions? Please submit a Help Ticket to SCC E-Learning
(under "Select Type of Help," choose "Moodle Assistance")
SCC E-Learning Banner

For help with the accessibility of this website, please use this form.