Applying for Financial Aid
|SCC's IRS Data Retrieval Tool Unavailable
Priority Deadline was May 1, 2016. If you plan on attending SCC for the 2016-17 year, please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible. Need help filing your FAFSA? Contact the Financial Aid Office to make an appointment. 828.339.4438On March 10, 2017, the IRS and the US Department of Education announced that the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA is currently unavailable. At this time, the IRS anticipates the online data tool will be unavailable for several weeks. When submitting tax information for the 2017-2018 FAFSA, and anyone still needing to submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA, you must use ONLY your 2015 tax return information. We highly recommend that you then request an IRS 2015 Tax Return Transcript at www.irs.gov.
The first step to receive federal grants, state grants, loans, work-study, and most scholarships is to file the FAFSA. You only need to submit the FAFSA once per academic year.
1. File the FAFSA
- Before a FAFSA can be started, students and parents both must create a FSA ID. Please create FSA IDs at www.fsaid.ed.gov.
- Complete a FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval for all eligible tax filers.
SCC School Code is 008466.
Our priority deadline is May 1 preceding the next school year. However, FAFSAs received after this date will still be processed. It can take several weeks to complete the financial aid process, so apply as early as you can after October 1 preceding the next school year and get your results earlier.
2. Apply to an eligible program at SCC
- The Financial Aid Office cannot view your Student Aid Report (SAR) until an Admissions application to the college is on file.
- A list of all programs eligible for Financial Aid can be found here: www.southwesterncc.edu/financial-aid/eligible-programs-study
- SCC Admission’s Office will send you an acceptance letter with your SCC student ID number.
3. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Read email from the Department of Education, and follow link to view your SAR.
- SAR. Read comments at the end of the report.
- Check information on SAR for accuracy.
- If you are eligible but did not use the IRS Data Retrieval, please go back and correct your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval.
4. Send Requested Documents to the SCC Financial Aid Office
- Read SCC email from Financial Aid Office. Check your email to see requested documents/forms.
- All requested financial aid forms can be downloaded from links contained in your email. Complete and submit any requested forms/documents to the SCC Financial Aid Office.