Complaint/Grievance Procedures



Any individual wishing to file a complaint or grievance with SCC must use the Student Complaint Information Sheet and Form, link here, or hardcopy form that can be found in each Deans’ office. Individuals are encouraged to resolve concerns or grievances at the informal level with the individual(s) involved, as outlined in Policy 6.03.05.  If the grievance cannot be resolved at the informal level, a formal grievance may be filed in writing with the supervising dean or director of the instructor/staff member. The written grievance must contain with specificity the facts supporting the grievance and the attempt to resolve the grievance at the informal level. In order to be considered, a formal grievance must be submitted in writing using the Student Complaint Information Sheet and Form, signed and two copies sent to: Southwestern Community College, 447 Drive, Sylva, NC 28779 in c/o the Dean of the area in which the complaint is against. SCC will entertain neither complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous, nor will the college consider complaints sent electronically or through facsimile transmission. In addition, the College will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to the College. Formal grievance resolution will be followed as outlined in Policy 6.03.05.
In filing a grievance, individuals should first refer to the related policy or procedure found online, in the student handbook, or SCC catalog.

Examples  of  an Academic Grievance Grievance submitted to:
Classroom instruction Appropriate Academic Dean: Barb Putman - Arts and Sciences; Danell Moses - Career Technologies; Mitch Fischer - Health Sciences; Curtis Dowdle - Public Safety Training; Cheryl Davids - Macon Campus
Classroom syllabi
Student Code of Conduct violations, academic in nature
Examples of a Non-Academic Grievance Grievance submitted to:
Personal Records (FERPA) Cheryl Contino-Conner, Dean of Students
Student Life
Student Services
Disability Services
Student Code of Conduct violations, non-academic in nature
Sexual Harassment
Parking or facilities William Brothers, VP for Financial and Administrative Services

If students are unable to resolve a complaint against SCC through the college's own grievance processes, there are other agencies listed below that students may appeal to, including the state of North Carolina.


  • The North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints Unit.
Please review the Student Complaint Policy then print and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:
North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina Systems Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
919.962.4550 or send an email to: studentcomplaint[at]northcarolina[dot]edu

Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

  • SARA-NC (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement-North Carolina)
Contact Information:
SARA North Carolina Director,
PO Box 14103
Research Triangle
Park, NC 27709 or email to

SARA-NC Complaint Process
SARA-NC Complaint Form
  • Regional Accreditor (SACSCOC) Complaint Process

If a student has evidence that an institution is in significant non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies or procedures, the individual should inform SACSCOC using the Complaints Against Institutions: Policy and Form.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA 30033

  • Filing out-of-state complaints (for non NC-SARA states)

Please click the following link to file a complaint within your home state: State Complaint Process

Questions? Please submit a Help Ticket to SCC E-Learning
(under "Select Type of Help," choose "Blackboard Assistance")
SCC E-Learning Banner