Skip to main content

Enroll as a Non-US Student

As part of our enrollment process, Southwestern Community College reviews immigration and residency status. Our Enrollment Services staff are available to provide enrollment advising for all non-US citizens. Please visit Enrollment Services to begin this process. Our Enrollment Services staff can discuss educational options with students in all immigration statuses, including undocumented students.


To see admission steps for non-US citizens, view the following status that applies:

Steps for Non-US/International Students

Southwestern Community College welcomes international students to enroll. We are authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students with F-1 visas. Students on F-1 visa status must pay out of state tuition and can not be considered residents of the state. Proficiency in the English language and satisfactory academic records are important factors in the admission decision for all applicants from outside the United States. International students must have graduated from a secondary school that is equivalent to secondary schools in the United States. All international students must be enrolled full time for each semester, with a maximum of 3 credit hours of online coursework.

Nonimmigrant students are subject to the same considerations as United States citizens in the determination of residency status for tuition purposes except that holders of B, C, D, F, H, J and M visas may not be considered residents for tuition purposes, and their dependent relatives may not be eligible for a tuition rate less than the out-of-state rate. Alien Registration Card holders are admitted in the same manner as citizens of the U.S.

SCC cannot provide federal financial aid to most international students; therefore, students must have sufficient funds to cover all living expenses, tuition and fees for the duration of the student’s course of study. A notarized financial resource statement is required of all international applicants. Student housing is not available on campus, and international students are expected to make their own housing arrangements. International students must be enrolled full time for each semester.

An official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report is required of all international applicants, at the student’s expense, except those from countries where English is the native language or unless the applicant is a transfer student from another accredited United States institution with English transfer credit.

Testing fees must be covered by the student. See the minimum score(s) below for entry consideration.

Reading: 17 Reading: 6.5
Listening: 17 Listening: 6.5
Speaking: 16 Speaking: 6.5
Writing: 16 Writing: 6.5


A certified copy of the international student's original educational record, to include all previous academic experiences, is required of all degree, diploma or certificate-seeking students. If the original record is written in a language other than English, then a certified copy of an English translation and evaluation by an approved outside source is required at the student's expense. A record of certain immunizations may also be required.

International students are not eligible to enroll in programs that lead to state licensure or require a state driver’s license.

Application packets for international student enrollment are available from the Registrar’s Office.

International Student Application Deadlines:

Fall Semester: May 1

Spring Semester: October 1

Summer Semester: February 1


Download the Application for International Students

How to Submit International Transcripts 

SCC’s Registrar can assist you with any questions. Call 828-339-4406 or email


Steps for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Students

  1. Complete an application
  2. Submit proof of completion of a degree (High School or equivalent or college)
  3. Submit official proof of your approval for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival 
    1. Valid EAD (work permit)
    2. Valid Approval notice from USCIS (Form I-821)
  4. Take Placement Tests (if needed)
  5. Meet with an advisor and register. 
  6. Pay for courses
    1. As a DACA student, you will be charged out-of-state tuition rates.
    2. If you have an employer willing to sponsor your tuition at the in-state rate, you must bring the required documentation at least one week prior to the registration payment deadline.
    3. SCC offers a tuition payment plan.



Steps for Students without Documentation

SCC Admissions Policy for Undocumented Applicants follows the guidelines per the State Board of Community Colleges Code “23 SBCCC 02C .0301 Admission to Colleges” effective June 1, 2012.

SCC can admit undocumented applicants only if they graduated from a US public high school, private high school or home school that operates in compliance with State or local law. (Applicants with a US GED or who have completed high school or college abroad will not be admitted.)

SCC will not classify any undocumented applicants as NC residents for tuition purposes, and so all applicants will be charged tuition at the out-of-state rate.

Students lawfully present in the US will have priority for registration; therefore, undocumented students will not be able to register for classes until after late registration. (right before classes begin)

Although there are restrictions on which programs Non-US Citizens can be admitted to, including those that require state licensure upon graduation, there are several options available at SCC. For more information or clarification please contact the Dean of Students at 828.339.4229 or Registrar at 828.339.4406.

Undocumented Students - Friendly Programs at SCC

Health Sciences

Career Technologies

Transfer Degrees

Health Information Technology

Accounting & Finance

Associate in Arts

Human Services Technology

Advertising & Graphic Design

Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts

Human Services Technology - Addiction & Recovery Studies

Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration

Associate in Science

Dental Assisting Diploma* 

Automotive Systems Technology


Surgical Technology AAS*

Business Administration



Bus. Admin. - Office Admin



Culinary Arts



Early Childhood Education



Information Technology



Medical Office Administration



Outdoor Leadership



Welding Technology



  1. Complete an application
  2. Submit proof of completion of a degree (must be from the US)
  3. Take placement tests if needed
  4. Meet with an advisor and register for classes
  5. Pay for courses


For help with the accessibility of this website, please use this form.