IN-SERVICE Training Requirements from the NC Criminal Justice and Sheriffs' Education and Training Standards Commission: The In-service NC law enforcement officer training requirements, as outlined in the NC Administrative Code, requires that every police officer certified by the NC Criminal Justice and Training Standards Commission and deputy sheriff certified by NC Sheriff Education and Training Standards Commission complete 24-hours of in-service training annually. The topics for this requirement are outlined in the Code and include but are not limited to the classes listed below for 2015. SCC will work with all agencies to meet these training requirements in traditional seat-based class or online delivery. Please call Mark Welch at the PSTC, 828.306.7052 for additional information:
NEW ONLINE FOR 2015: Detention Officer In-service Training
- Beginning July 20, 2015.
- Registered today by following directions at bottom of this web page.
- For a complete list of classes being offered and additional information Click Here.
Law Enforcement In-service Training classes being offered in 2015 online & seat base:
The mandated in-service training topics for 2015:
|Mandated LEO In-Service Training Topics for 2015|
|2015 Firearms Training & Qualification (Not available online)||6 hrs|
|2015 Firearms Training Classroom (Available online)||2 hrs|
|2015 Firearms Qualification Range (Not available online)||4 hrs|
|2015 Domestic Violence: Teen Dating Violence||2 hrs|
|2015 JMST: a Juvenile - What does it have to do with me?||2 hrs|
|2015 Legal Update||4 hrs|
|Optional LEO In-Service Topics 2015|
|2015 Active Shooter||2 hrs|
|2015 Bloodborne Pathogens||2 hrs|
|2015 Emotional Survival||2 hrs|
|2015 HazMat||2 hrs|
|2015 LE Intelligence Update||2 hrs|
|2015 Missing & Abducted Children||2 hrs|
|2014 Officer Safety: Use of Force Overview||4 hrs|
|2015 Public Safety: Storm Spotting||2 hrs|
2015 ONLINE Instructions:
- Register for Class you wish to take following directions in the Registration Instructions section below.
- Classes start the first Monday of March - November
- All dates for registration, class posting and closing of class can be found below.
- Complete list of 2015 Class schedules Click Here
- You will receive an email on Friday prior to the start of the class with instructions on how to login to your class and changes for 2015 (READ THIS CAREFULLY & FULLY). If you do not receive this email then please contact pbell[at]southwesterncc[dot]edu with email so that your email can be verified.
- Class will open on Monday morning.
- You must login and take a Baseline Assessment on each class you registered for by 11:55 p.m. on the Wednesday following the opening of the class.
- You will then have until the close of class to complete your work.
- Discussion question posting will close 2 days prior to the end of class (NEW for 2015)
- All Password changes for the online system must be requested by email to: pbell[at]southwesterncc[dot]edu
2015 "NEW" Online Class Registration Instructions:
Please Note that registration for online classes has changed beginning June 1, 2015. Please look at Option A & B below and decide which category you fall into and then follow instructions carefully to register.
OPTION A (You have NEVER TAKEN classes with SCC): These are instructions for an officer that is eligible for discount code under the NC State statues and HAS NEVER TAKEN classes with Southwestern Community College (this means you are not in our College system with a discount code)
- Contact Public Safety Training to get your general information into the system so that your discount is applied to your account.
- Contact Information: Allison Fox, Administrative Assistant 828-306-7041 or Kelsie Bowman, Administrative Assistant 828-306-7047
- Be prepared to share your full name, partial of your social and phone number (good contact number)
- Further instructions for registration will be provided once contact is completed.
OPTION B (You have TAKEN classes with SCC in the past): These are instructions for an officer that is eligible for discount code under the NC State statues and HAS TAKEN classes in the past with Southwestern Community College (this means you are already in our College system with a discount code)
*Note if you have registered for classes but never provided your full information to the College then use Option A first.
- Instructions for Getting started with your online registration if you have not taken classes since January 2015.
- Instructions on getting started if you have not taken a class in 2015 CLICK HERE on these instructions.
- If you have taken classes in 2015 then you only need to follow the last part of the instructions.
ONLINE CLASS REQUIREMENTS
Internet connection (suggested DSL or higher connection as dial up will time out on videos), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Reader, Video player (example Window’s Media Player). You will need BASIC computer knowledge in Internet navigation, video player, Word, PDF files, and PowerPoint.
Registration required one week prior to beginning date of class. Class size limited to 30 students. If class is full student will be notified and enrolled in next available class.