|Real Estate Pre-Licensing|
|More Career Resources|
The NC pre-licensing course is designed to meet the educational requirements for submitting a provisional broker application to the state. This course introduces students to real estate principles and practices, and includes topics on real estate law, financing, and more.
The Real Estate Commission provides an informational booklet for more information about the process of obtaining a real estate license in NC. This booklet contains information on the licensing process and license qualifications, license examination information, and instructions for filing an application.
- Minimum age of 18
- Be a citizen of the United States (also certain non-citizen nationals and qualified aliens under federal law)
- Possession of a Social Security number is mandatory
- No formal education required
- Good character background
Class Costs and Refund Policy
This course is $180.
A student who officially withdraws prior to the first class shall be eligible for a 100% refund.
After the class begins, a student may receive a 75% refund if the student officially withdraws prior to completing 10% of the scheduled course hours. For the Fall classes, a student would need to withdraw before class begin to qualify for this refund.
Program expectations and goals:
- This course requires a significant time commitment. In addition to the 8 hours of class time each week, students need to be prepared to spend a minimum of 8 hours studying each week outside of the classroom.
- To pass the course and be eligible to take the State and National Exam, students must score a minimum of a 75% on the class final exam and meet the attendance requirements below.
- The North Carolina Real Estate Commission requires a student in the Pre-licensing course to attend a minimum of 80% of the instructional time.
- The instructional time for this course is 80 hours.
- A student cannot be absent for more than a total of 16 hours.
- Missing more than 16 hours will deem you ineligible to take the end of course exam. This includes absences due to technological issues.
- All hours missed are counted toward the total absences.
End of Course/Final Exam
- Proctored on the Sylva SCC campus, in-person
- 3.5 hours to take the exam
- Timed via Moodle
- 112 questions
- 75% or higher to pass the course (minimum of 84 questions correct)
- ONE retake if score is below 75%. To be eligible to retest, you must score between 60% -74%, answering 68-83 questions correctly.
Required Textbooks and Materials available in the SCC bookstore
- Modern Real Estate Practice in North Carolina, 10th Edition (ISBN: 9781475486520) $50
- Guide to Passing the PSI Real Estate Exam, 8th Edition (ISBN: 9781475487251) $37.35
Additional Student Materials
- North Carolina Real Estate Law & Commission Rules $5.25
- NC Residential Square Footage Guidelines $1
- NC Real Estate Agent Safety Guide $.50
- Standard NC Realtors Contract Forms
Moodle and SCC email account
Your real estate course in Moodle will not be available until orientation. During orientation we will set up your SCC email and Moodle account.
Latresa Shuler (828.339.4425 or email@example.com)