What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound is a college preparatory program funded by the United States Department of Education as a TRIO program. It’s designed to encourage academic success in high-potential students from area high schools:
- Smoky Mountain
What Services are Provided?
Upward Bound provides services during the academic year, the summer months and after graduation. Activities include:
- Academic Advising
- Cultural, social and self-enrichment activities
- College Visits
- College entrance exam preparation
- Service Learning opportunities
- Bridge program to help students transition to college
- Activities, including transportation and meals, are provided at no cost to the students or parents.
Who is eligible for Upward Bound?
Freshmen, sophomores or juniors at one of the target high schools who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Student’s parents did not earn a four-year college degree, and/or
- Student’s family meets income guidelines requirements as defined by the U.S. Department of Education.