Tutor Position Description
SCC tutors provide individual and small group tutoring to curriculum students who request assistance with course material. Tutors learn to create an environment that is nurturing, encouraging, and promotes academic achievement by focusing on, not only, what to learn, but incorporating how to learn. Tutors must exhibit a positive and enthusiastic attitude toward learning. They must also demonstrate a competence and a desire to help students gain an understanding of course concepts and/or content. Tutors are required to attend trainings each semester as they work towards Level I and II certification. Through training, tutors have the opportunity to gain the necessary skills and strategies that will enable them to assist students with the academic problems and challenges they may be experiencing. SCC tutors exemplify academic excellence and are role models, thus, are expected to be professional, committed, and dedicated to the Vision, Mission and Goals of Southwestern Community College’s Tutor Program.
Do You Qualify?
- Enrolled at Southwestern Community College*
- Course competency (grade A or B in course)
- 3.0 GPA (Grade Point Average) or greater
- Faculty recommendations (2) - obtained by Tutor Program Coordinator
- Communicate effectively
- Desire to help and eager to motivate fellow students
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Professional and reliable
What’s in it for You?
- Flexible schedule … work hours around your classes!
- Job commute eliminated … you are already here!
- Earn extra money while attending SCC!
- Earn training certification through an internationally recognized tutor program (must attend training to qualify for certification)
- Excellent addition to your resume, and job, scholarship, or university transfer applications
- Improve your own skills and retain knowledge in content area
- Develop and improve leadership, time management, and organizational skills
Besides tutoring, what else will I need to do?
SCC’s Tutor Program is certified at Level I and Level II through the College Reading and Learning Association / International Tutor Program Certification. Tutors achieve each level of certification, through training and tutoring experience.
- Level I: 10 hours of training and 25 hours of tutoring experience
- Level II: 10 additional hours of training and 25 additional hours of tutoring experience