Application for residency must be submitted prior to registration and payment of fees of the semester in which the student wishes to have residency status changed to in-state. If the application is received after the registration day for the semester, the application, if approved, will be effective for the next semester.

To qualify for in-state tuition, students must have maintained domicile in North Carolina for at least 12 months immediately prior to enrollment. Individuals must establish that their presence in the state during the designated 12-month period was for the purpose of maintaining a bona-fide domicile and not to simply establish temporary residence. Special situations involving marriage to a North Carolina resident or out-of-state military assignment should be brought to the attention of the Registrar.

Regulations concerning classification for tuition purposes are set forth in “A Manual to Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes.” A copy of the manual is available for review in Student Services, Office of the Registrar.

If a student’s residency classification changes, it is her or his obligation to apply for reclassification with the Registrar. A student who provides false residency information or knowingly withholds residency information shall be deemed to have submitted a fraudulent application. A student making a fraudulent application is subject to reclassification and, if appropriate, payment of the difference between non-resident and resident tuition for the enrolled semester(s) intervening between the fraudulent application and its discovery.

If a student is not satisfied with his initial residency classification or reclassification, he or she may appeal to the Dean of Students. After review by the dean, if the student remains dissatisfied, the student may file notice of appeal to the State Residence Committee.


In-State Tuition Rate Qualifications:

You may be eligible for in-state tuition status if you have maintained domicile in North Carolina for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to enrollment.

A complete application for residency with two forms of documentation must be presented prior to registration and payment of fees of the semester in which the student wishes to have residency status changed to in-state. Status does not automatically update at the 12 month anniversary. Types of documentation are listed below. More information can be found on page 19 of the SCC catalog.

TWO FORMS OF VARIOUS PROOFS are required for review as Documentation of your status:

  • N.C. Driver’s License
  • Voter Registration card
  • N.C. Tax Return
  • Other proofs such as lease, deed, property tax, vehicle registration, bank statements, utility or phone bill.

No one item justifies proof of in-state residency. Property ownership in the state of NC in and of itself does not make one an in-state resident.

The decision will be based on the weight of the evidence. All documentation must date back at least 12 months prior to consideration. 

SOMETIMES OTHER TYPES OF DOCUMENTS must be reviewed as well. Please read on to see if any of these situations apply to you.

  1. Are you under 24 or have you been 24 for less than a year?   Yes – Parents live in NC: bring documenting evidence as explained above for either yourself or your parents.  Yes – Parents do not live in NC: check with the Registrar. If your parents were not born in the US or are military, you will need additional documents. See items 4 or 5.
  2. Have you been a full-time student at any NC college or university in the past year?  Yes – check with the Registrar.
  3. Are you basing residency on your spouse’s residency?  Yes – please bring documentation of:  Your spouse’s residency, Proof of marriage, Evidence that you are living in NC.
  4. Were you born outside the United States?  Yes – please bring, in addition to the above types of documents:  I-551 (green card), Visa, I-94.  If you are changing your immigration status, please bring your most current I.N.S. document or communication (letter, memo, form, etc…).
  5. Are you serving in NC on active military duty or have you been discharged from the military in the past 12 months?  Yes – have you claimed NC as your state of legal residence with the military for the past 12 months?  Yes – please bring a leave and earnings statement from the past year and your most recent state tax return.  No – you are current military, please show proof when you pay that you are serving in NC on active military duty, and you may qualify to pay in-state tuition.

If your situation is not covered above, you may contact the Registrar's Office at 828.339.4219 or 828.339.4406 for additional information. It is recommended to make an appointment with the Registrar for more specific questions pertaining to your residency status review.

After you have reviewed the above information proceed to download the North Carolina Residence and Tuition Status Application by clicking on the link to the file below.

NC Residence & Tuition Status Application