News and Announcements

Financial Emergency? Get assistance when you need it

Sep 13 2018

Student holds his hand to his head and looks depressed as he stares at a piggy bankIf you have a serious financial emergency that may cause you to miss class or drop out of college for a semester, Southwestern Community College has a couple of options for providing financial resources.

If you have completed 75 percent

… of a curriculum or occupational education program (or if you’re currently enrolled in classes that will put you at or above the 75 percent mark) you may be eligible for financial assistance through the Finish Line Grant - a new program established by Gov. Roy Cooper that provides up to $1,000 for a non-recurring financial need. This program is jointly administered by SCC and the Southwestern Workforce Development Board.

To apply for these funds, you must:

  1. Be enrolled in a Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA)-approved degree, diploma or certificate program (see list below):
  • Accounting
  • Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Technology
  • Automotive Systems Technology
  • Basic Law Enforcement Training
  • Business Administration
  • Electronics Engineering Technology
  • CISCO Certification
  • Civil Engineering Technology
  • Computer Engineering Technology
  • Culinary Arts
  • Cyber Crime Technology
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Electronic Health Records Office Professional
  • EMT (EMS/Paramedic)
  • Health Information Technology
  • Human Services Technology
  • HST – Substance Abuse Treatment
  • Mechatronics Engineering Technology
  • Medical Assisting
  • Medical Laboratory Technology
  • Medical Office Administration
  • Medical Sonography
  • Medical Transcription Editor (Parts I & II)
  • Medication Aide
  • Networking Management Technology
  • Nurse Aide
  • Nursing
  • Occupational Therapy Assistant
  • Office Administration
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Phlebotomy
  • Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Professional Medical Coding & Billing
  • Radiography
  • Respiratory Therapy
  • Software & Web Development
  • Web Technologies
  • Welding Technology


  1. Have completed - or be currently enrolled in – 75 percent of your program requirements
  2. Hold a GPA of 2.00 or greater
  3. Meet with a member of SCC’s Financial Aid team to get eleigibility certified
  4. Once referred by SCC’s Financial Aid team, you will need to gather the following nine items to the WIOA case manager assigned to you:
  1. Social security card
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Proof of residency
  4. Family size
  5. Self-attestation of income
  6. SCC certification of eligibility
  7. Financial Aid award letter*
  8. Selective Service registration*
  9. Veteran status (DD-214)*

*if applicable

6) Once you have all the necessary documentation listed in No. 5 (above), contact the WIOA Case Manager at the NC Works Career Center in your county of residency:

Haywood County

1170 North Main Street

Waynesville, NC 28786


Monday-Thursday (8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)

Friday (8:30 a.m.-noon)

WIOA Case Manager: Hazel Thompson


Jackson County

26 Ridgeway Street, Suite 2

Sylva, NC 28779


Monday & Wednesday (8:30 a.m.-noon; 1-4:30 p.m.)

Friday (8:30 a.m.-noon)

WIOA Case Manager: Marne Harris


Macon County

5 West Main Street

Franklin, NC 28734


Monday-Thursday (8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)

Friday (8:30 a.m.-noon)

WIOA Case Manager: Susan Waldorf


Swain County

101 Mitchell Street

Bryson City, NC 28713


Tuesday & Thursday (8:30 a.m.-noon; 1-4:30 p.m.)

WIOA Case Manager: Marne Harris



(Serves Clay, Graham & Cherokee Counties)

800 West US Hwy 64

Murphy, NC 28906


Monday through Thursday (8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)

Friday (8:30 a.m.-noon)

WIO Case Manager: Lisa Penland



Please note that through the Finish Line Grant, disbursement of funds would occur directly to the agency/vendor (not to the student) within 72 hours of completing your application. WIOA case managers are responsible for determining final eligibility, awarding and disbursing funds.


If you have completed less than 75 percent …

… of a curriculum or occupational program, or if you’ve exhausted Finish Line Grant funding and have additional needs, you may still be eligible for assistance through SCC’s Student Emergency Fund program.

This program is ideal when you have small, time-sensitive financial needs such as fuel for your vehicle.

To apply for assistance through the Student Emergency Fund, contact Kathy Posey of the SCC Foundation: k_posey[at]southwesternncc[dot]edu or 828.339.4227.