December 12, 2023
Check-In begins: 3:15 p.m.
Rehearsal begins: 4 p.m.
December 14, 2023
Ceremony Times TBA
Instructions for ALL DIVISIONS
Prior to the ceremony
- Report to the 2nd floor lobby of the Balsam Center for check-in .
- All graduates must check-in prior to line up
- Check card carefully for errors. DO NOT LOSE THIS CARD
- If your name has a unique pronunciation, please let us know. We will note the phonetic pronunciation on your card for the announcer.
- Graduates will line up on the 2nd floor in a single line prior to walking down to the auditorium.
- Graduates MUST be wearing their SCC dark blue regalia at line up to march - no specific dress or shoes required.
- Prior to commencement, your tassel should hang on the right side of your cap.
- Graduate processional will enter auditorium at the designated graduation ceremony time.
- Graduates will enter the right aisle, seating areas for graduates will be reserved.
- Remain STANDING upon arrival at seat.
During the ceremony
- An Invocation will be presented- remain standing
- The President will announce when to be seated
- Various speeches will be made to welcome and honor the graduates
- The Executive Vice President for Instruction & Student Services will ask all graduates to rise for presentation and conferral by the President.
- Graduates will be motioned to be seated
- The front row will remain standing
- When indicated by the Marshal, the front row will approach the stage stairs and begin the awarding of degrees.
- As you approach the speaker on stage, hand them your card to announce. You do not receive the card back after this.
- While your name and credentials are announced, you'll cross the stage to receive your diploma holder and handshake from the Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- You'll arrive on the left-hand side of the stage to shake the hand of the President. Pause here for the SCC photographers to take your photo.
- Exit the stage and return to your seat. You may be seated at this time.
- As the Marshal indicates, the next row will rise all at once and approach the stage.
- Once all graduates have been announced and returned to their seat, the President will proceed with the induction into the Alumni Association
- The President will denote when to move your tassel from right to left
Following the ceremony
- Stand for the benediction
- The ceremony leaders will exit the stage
- As guided by the Marshal, graduates will begin Recessional
- Beginning with the front row, each row will exit entirely into the right hand aisle entered from
- Continue exit of the entire auditorium to avoid blocked walkways.
- Guests are to remain seated until both aisles are clear of exiting graduates and ceremony leaders.
- Additional pictures may be taken or requested by the SCC photographers in the lobby following the conclusion of the Recessional.
If you or a guest need assistance to get into the auditorium, navigate the stairs to the stage, move across or exit the stage, hear or see the ceremony, or any other activity related to graduation, please contact the Office of Learner Accessibility & Equity by calling 828.339.4398, emailing accessibility@