The UTAC provides advising services for Arts and Sciences students planning to transfer to a university or four-year college.
Students work with UTAC advisors to:
  • Set academic goals
  • Create academic plans
  • Register for classes / adjust schedules
  • Research university programs
  • Evaluate progress in achieving goals
Every AA and AS student, as well as special credit students seeking transfer credits, are served by the University Transfer Advising Center (UTAC). UTAC offers drop-in advising to students. Students may be served by any advisor on duty, no appointments necessary! 
No. In fact, most days we do not offer appointments. We rarely have a line. We do encourage appointments on Advising Days in fall and spring.
Our hours vary depending on the semester and if classes are in session. Hours are posted to the calendar on University Transfer Advising Center 
Yes! There is a Macon UTAC at the Groves Center. For hours, please go the University Transfer Advising Center.

Advisors at the Macon UTAC often require appointments. Contact them at utacmacon[at]southwesterncc[dot]edu or 828.306.7005.
See a UTAC advisor. You may need to transfer before graduating, or you may be able to take the class online at another North Carolina Community College. Visit the Virtual Learning Center website below to find online availability elsewhere in NC: http://vlc.nccommunitycolleges.edu/.
A Baccalaureate Degree Plan (BDP) is what the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) calls the academic plan or pathway that the university provides for each major. If you are following a university’s BDP for your future major, you should be taking classes at SCC that provide the most seamless transition.



Absolutely! Please contact us at 828.339.4301. While it is best to meet with an advisor in person, especially your first semester at SCC, we understand this isn’t always possible.  

We will want to verify your identity to protect your personal information, so expect the advisor to ask a few questions. 

If you are calling to register, the call will go more smoothly, if you please have the following information available:
  • SCC student ID #
  • Major of interest
  • Will you be a full-time student (12+ credit hours) or part-time
  • Preference for online or face to face classes (times, campus, etc)
  • Any classes you would like to take – searching the class schedule ahead of time is always a good idea.
Yes. We love being available for our students! Please contact utac[at]southwesterncc[dot]edu and the advisor on duty will respond. Please note that we can only answer personal questions or register you for classes when you are using your secure SCC email account. Help us respond faster by including detailed information.

If you’re requesting a class schedule, include the following information:
  • SCC student ID #
  • Major of interest
  • Will you be a full-time student (12+ credit hours) or part-time
  • Preference for online or face to face classes (times, campus, etc)
  • Any classes you would like to take – searching the class schedule ahead of time is always a good idea.
UGETC stands for Universal General Education Transfer Component.  A North Carolina community college student who completes a UGETC course with a grade of “C” or better, will receive credit applied toward a UNC-system university’s lower division general education requirements.  

Essentially, if you get a C in certain courses, universities in the UNC-system must award general education credit. U GET a C (or better, we hope!), you get transfer credit!  There are some limitations, so reviewing the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement is a good idea.  
Transfer credit is awarded by the receiving school.  However, the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between the North Carolina Community College System and the UNC University System provides guarantees for students completing an AA or AS degree within specified guidelines as well as individual guarantees for many Universal General Education Transfer Component courses (UGETCs). 

Private and out of state schools honor many of our courses.  Always check their websites for course equivalencies.  UTAC advisors can assist you with your search. 
No, unfortunately, we can’t provide advising for AA and AS at the Swain Center. Contact UTAC on the Jackson or Macon campuses for advising.
A special credit student is a student who not seeking degree, diploma or certificate. Examples of special credit students are university students taking classes for the summer, university students taking a class not offered at the university, or a student taking classes for personal enrichment.  If you wish for your special credit coursework to transfer to your home college or university, don’t forget to complete the transcript request form.

An Associate in Arts student is getting a liberal studies education for many majors. This degree is good for undecided students as well as students looking to major in Business, Education, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, or many other fields. These students receive a good foundation in English, Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences and Mathematics.  There are many elective options.

Associate in Science students are getting the foundation for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields. Potential majors are Biology, Chemistry, Applied Math, and Environmental Health. Students should expect to take math through Calculus I, at least, and a science sequence in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics.  Electives are limited to STEM related coursework.  
That depends on your degree program and future major. Each student is different and degree requirements for your future major vary from university to university. Please work with your advisors closely to determine the best classes for your goals. Taking ACA 122: College Transfer Success your first semester will help you focus on a future career area which can help you decide on a major and university which will help guide your course selection.