The Student Disability Services (SDS) coordinator is available as a resource to assist students, faculty, and staff with informal problem solving or dispute resolutions.
- It is the responsibility of the student to notify the SDS coordinator if there is a concern or grievance regarding the quality, absence of, or reliability of approved accommodations.
- The SDS coordinator relies on the faculty to provide curriculum standards for guidance in determining when an accommodation is not deemed reasonable due to “fundamental alterations in course standards.”
- Curriculum heads are encouraged to notify the SDS coordinator when concerns arise regarding recommended accommodations.
- The SDS coordinator will work with the student and faculty/staff member to understand
- their respective concerns,
- explain pertinent aspects of the accommodation, and
- will remain open to appropriate flexibility without compromising the rights or needs of students with disabilities.
Should a disability-related dispute not be resolvable in a timely manner, the following steps will take place:
- The concern will be reported, in writing, to
- the Executive Vice President for Instruction and Student Services if it is academic in nature, or
- the Dean of Students, if it is behavioral in nature.
- The Executive Vice President (or Dean of Students) will respond to the student within ten working days.
- A student who disagrees with the decision of the Executive Vice President (or Dean of Students) may appeal to the President who will put the matter before a Review Committee that is composed of
- Executive Vice President,
- Director of SSS,
- Director of Academic Support, and
- College Deans.
- This request must be submitted in writing to the President within three working days after receipt of the Executive Vice President’s (or Dean of Students') decision.
- The Review Committee will meet and respond within 10 working days of receipt of a request for review.
- If this final attempt for resolution is unsuccessful, the student has the remaining option of filing a complaint under Section 504 (click here for link).
Student Disability Services Coordinator
Balsam Center, Room 129A