Skip to main content

Student/Faculty Concerns

The Learner Accessibility & Equity (LAE) Office is available as a resource to assist students, faculty and staff with informal problem solving or dispute resolutions.

  • It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Learner Accessibility & Equity Advocate ( if there is a concern or grievance regarding the quality, absence of, or reliability of approved accommodations.
  • The LAE office relies on the faculty to provide curriculum standards for guidance in determining when an accommodation is not deemed reasonable due to “fundamental alterations in course standards.”
  • Curriculum heads are encouraged to notify the LAE office ( when concerns arise regarding recommended accommodations.
  • The LAE office will work with the student and faculty/staff member to understand
    • their respective concerns,
    • explain pertinent aspects of the accommodation, and
    • will remain open to appropriate flexibility without compromising the rights or needs of students with disabilities.

Should a disability-related dispute not be resolvable in a timely manner using the process above, students are able to follow SCC Complaint/Grievance Procedures:

  1. Individuals are encouraged to resolve concerns or grievances at the informal level with the individual(s) involved, as outlined in Policy 6.03.05: Student Grievance.
  2. Any individual wishing to file a complaint or grievance with SCC must use the Student Complaint Information Sheet and Form and submit it to the appropriate Dean as outlined in the SCC Complaint/Grievance Procedures.
  3. Formal grievance resolution will be followed as outlined in Policy 6.03.05.

If the attempt for resolution of a disability-related complaint is unsuccessful following the procedures and policy outlined above, individuals have the option to file a complaint through the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office for Civil Rights (OCR)


If you are using assistive technology and cannot access this information, please contact the webmaster to request an alternative format.