Proctoring exams is a valuable service that Jackson and Macon staff offer SCC faculty members and SCC students. Instructors of Web-Centered and Hybrid courses email completed proctoring sheets to firstname.lastname@example.org with confidence that their students will take online tests in a comfortable, quiet, monitored environment.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
- Students do not need to make appointments for testing. However, keep in mind that a proctoring sheet completed by the instructor must be on file and that testing must be completed before closing times: 5 p.m., M-Th, and Noon, Friday. Remember that the Jackson and Macon LACs are closed during breaks. Also, the Jackson LAC Testing Room is shared with College and Career Readiness, and GED testing occurs on Tuesday afternoons. These students often take more than one exam and, thus, are in and out of the room, which can be distracting.
- Non-SCC students who need exam proctoring should call 828.339.4332.
- You MUST show a photo I.D. in order to test.
- You need to check in on the kiosk with your your entire SCC email and password. If the test is in Moodle, then you will need to enter this information in the testing computer as well.
- Ensure that you also have login information for exams taken in other software.
- Students will need their cell phone in order to log in on an SCC testing computer. Afterward, the phone will be secured in a locker along with other items that are not allowed: headphones, ear plugs, electronic wrist watches, etc.
- The “white noise machine” in the Testing Room is turned on to reduce distractions for all test-takers.
- Scratch paper is collected, attached to each completed sign-in sheet, and sent to the instructor.
You must allow enough time to complete an exam before the centers close.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INSTRUCTORS
- A completed Exam Proctoring Information Sheet must be in your proctoring file at least 24 hours before students arrive to test in order to resolve any issues.
- Instructors must allow students at least a week to take proctored exams, to avoid overloading staff.
- Please remind students that NO exam will be proctored without a photo I.D. Also, they need to bring materials allowed during testing, including log-in information.
- Exam Proctoring is provided to Hybrid and Online courses; however, the occasional online makeup exam for Web-Supported and Traditional classes may be accommodated based on availability. Please call or email the appropriate Coordinator to discuss specifics.
- If you wish to extend the end date of the exam window, email email@example.com or call the Jackson Coordinator at 828.339.4325 and the Macon Coordinator at 828.306.7028 twenty-four hours in advance. Otherwise, after a deadline has passed, the Exam Proctoring Information Sheet will be removed from your proctoring file.
- If a testing student is observed to be using internet sites not permitted, the staff member will give the student a warning that it is up to the instructor whether or not the exam will be accepted and then will add the information in the “Comments” section of the sign-in sheet, which will be sent to you. Also, he/she will alert the Coordinator, who, in turn, will contact you. If you wish, the Coordinator may request video footage from IT.