Students wishing to graduate should follow these steps:
- Contact your academic program advisor to initiate the application process.
- Be sure to tell them exactly how you would like your name to appear on your diploma and the address it should be mailed to.
- Once your advisor submits the application, you will receive a confirmation email to your SCC email address. Be sure to check the application information in the email. If you need to make corrections, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Order your graduation kit (cap, gown & tassel). See step 3 below for further information.
Your Commencement Ceremony!
We know you are excited and ready to graduate, however, there are a couple of things you need to do NOW, so that you can smile and walk across the stage at Commencement.
Here are the steps you need to complete in order to finalize your graduation:
Contact your advisor to complete the Application for Commencement. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Students must pay all debts owed to the College at the Business Office, Library or to whomever necessary to clear student record holds.
- Complete Financial Aid Exit Counseling if you received student loans at www.studentloans.gov. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.
- Get your graduation kit (cap, gown & tassel) from the Herff Jones website. Alternatively, you may order from the SCC Bookstore. The bookstore can be reached by calling 828.339.4222. This is the only fee associated with graduation (approximately $35).
- From this website you may also order announcements and class rings (at an additional cost).
4. Send Your Pictures!
We want to make sure you feel like the super star you are at the commencement ceremony and we also want to make the occasion special for you and your family and friends.
We are asking that you send us your favorite pictures so that we can use them in a presentation during the commencement ceremony.
You will need to send the pictures to Tyler Goode, SCC's Director of Public Relations.
Please make sure:
- You are in the picture
- The picture is appropriate for presentation during the ceremony
- The picture is in the correct format: try to do landscape vs. portrait and be sure it is at least 1 MB in file size or 1,000 pixels wide
- You send the picture to Tyler at email@example.com
- You include your name and program of study in the email
SEND YOUR PICTURES TODAY! YOU DON'T WANT TO BE THE ONLY GRADUATE WHO ISN'T REPRESENTED!
If you have questions regarding the presentation or your photo, please contact Tyler Goode.
**You can also contact Tyler if you would like your picture taken somewhere on campus for use in the ceremony.
5. Attend Rehearsal:
TBD – If/when rehearsal is scheduled, it will be on the College Calendar. Rehearsal is traditionally held in the Norman K. Myers Auditorium of the Balsam Center. This building is located on the Jackson Campus in Sylva.
The ceremony is traditionally held in the Balsam Center's Norman K. Myers Auditorium, however, the format of the ceremony has not yet been determined. Check our Commencement FAQ or Instruction pages for updates.
**Graduates should meet in the lobby on the 2nd floor of the Balsam Center no later than 30 minutes before the ceremony begins to pick up name cards (traditional ceremony only).
Need Special Assistance?
Graduation is a physical activity. Due to injuries or disabilities sometimes, it is a challenge. If you or a guest will be needing special assistance to walk into the auditorium, climb the stairs to the stage, walk across the stage, descend the stairs, hear or see the ceremony, or any other activity related to graduation - please contact Janina Dehart, Disability Services Coordinator (Oaks Hall Rm G-15, 828.339.4326, firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Check your mail!
Diplomas will be mailed to the address you provided on your graduation application within 6 to 8 weeks following graduation.
Watch your student email. 2-4 weeks following graduation, you will receive an email with instructions on how to claim your e-diploma.