FAFSA Filing Instructions--Please read before you begin.
Students attending Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023 will need to file the 2022-2023 FAFSA
Students beginning college in Fall 2023 will need to file the 2023-2024 FAFSA
- To submit your FAFSA, you will need to create an FSA ID for the STUDENT and the PARENT. To create a FSA ID, go to www.studentaid.gov.
- To start the FAFSA, go to www.studentaid.gov and click on "Start Here"
- Complete the login screen and review your data
- Select the FAFSA filing year you are interested in (ex., START 2022-2023 FAFSA)
- Do not use the Back and Forward arrows at the top of the Browser. Use only the Next and Previous Buttons at the bottom of each page.
- Read the Help and Hints Box on each page for instructions about how to answer each question. This will be especially helpful when entering tax return data.
- The STUDENT or PARENT sections at the top of each page are labeled and will remind you whose information you are working on. The progress bar at the top will show you what you have completed. Remember if it says YOU, it means the student, not the parent.
- Be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Option, if available, to import your tax return data directly from the IRS. This will help speed up your file’s processing later on. You must have e-filed your tax return two weeks prior, or mailed in your tax return six to eight weeks prior to filing your FAFSA.
- You will be asked to enter the six-digit Federal School Code for each school you want your FAFSA results sent to. You can do a look up by entering the name and location of the school. SCC’s code is 008466.
- Your FAFSA will save automatically after each section, or you can click the Save button at the bottom of the page whenever you like.
- Print the Confirmation Page when you finish and submit the FAFSA for information about your aid eligibility.