Skip to main content

Withdrawals and Financial Aid

If you need to withdraw from SCC at any time after you have received financial aid, there may be an impact on your financial aid. Here are the important policies that can affect you: 

Withdrawal Requirements and Procedures
Treatment of Title IV Aid When A Student Withdraws
SCC Satisfactory Academic Progress

The type of impact will depend on whether you are doing a partial withdrawal or a full withdrawal.

Partial Withdrawal

If you know right away that you need to drop a class, try to do so during the Schedule Adjustment period (also known as Drop/Add), so that you can add another class, or get part of the tuition refunded. We will adjust your financial aid if necessary to your enrollment status at the financial aid census date which occurs approximately two weeks after the end of the Schedule Adjustment period. If you decide to withdraw from a class, it is best to initiate the withdrawal yourself to avoid being administratively withdrawn or given an F grade. You will not have to repay financial aid dollars unless you withdraw from all your classes. Even partial withdrawals can hurt your future eligibility, however, because of the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement to complete 67% of all attempted hours.

Full Withdrawal - See Title IV Aid and Withdrawals for a more detailed explanation

If you receive the Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loan or PLUS Loan, you must earn your financial aid by attending class beyond the 60% point of each semester, or the 60% point of your remaining classes. If you withdraw from all of your classes OR stop attending all your classes, and have not attended past the 60% point, you may owe back a portion of the financial aid you received. 

The SCC Financial Aid Office will send you a letter detailing any amounts you owe to the U.S. Department of Education, and/or any amounts SCC had to return to the Department of Education that you will now owe SCC. You will be given 45 days from the date of that letter to repay both amounts to SCC. If you owe funds to the Department of Education, there will usually also be an amount you owe SCC. SCC must be repaid before you can enroll in classes again, or before you can request a transcript. If you owe the Department of Education, you must repay this amount or make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Department of Education to remain eligible for federal financial aid beyond the 45 day period. If you do not pay within the 45 days, SCC will begin to collect the amount you owe us, and the Department of Education will begin to collect the amount you owe them.

If you are receiving federal aid, you must attend beyond the 60% point of the semester or your remaining classes, to have earned the aid and to not owe back any funds. State financial aid funds are earned when the student has attended beyond the 35% point of the semester.

Financial Aid Office R2T4 procedures. 

Thumbnail of If I drop a course or withdraw, what will happen to my financial aid?

60% Point by Term for Full Session Classes

Term Attend Class  On or Beyond Last Date to Withdraw
Fall 2023 October 23, 2023 October 31, 2023
Spring 2024 March 29, 2024 April 09, 2024
Summer 2024 (8 Week Term) July 1, 2024 July 9, 2024


For help with the accessibility of this website, please use this form.