Skip to main content

What do I do if I know a student who may need to be referred to the SAT Team?
If you feel there is an immediate threat, call campus security at 339.4294 or dial 911.
To make a report, you should use the Student Concerns Portal.
To make a referral for services, you should call the counseling office at 339.4243. You will be asked for basic information about the student and a description of the incident or behaviors that prompted the referral. All referrals should also be reported using the Student Concerns Portal.
You are the CARE Team’s best resource because you are familiar to the student. If you are comfortable doing so, tell the student that you are concerned and ask if he/she is OK. In many cases students will indicate that they could use some help and you can refer them to the Counseling Center.

Who should report?
Anyone! If you see or hear of a behavior that is concerning, make a report. If you sense a student is a threat to themselves and/or the community you should make a report; immediate harm should be reported by dialing 911 or campus security at 339.4294.

What happens after I make a report?
If the concern is urgent the Dean of Students in conjunction with the Counseling Center, will seek out the student to make sure everything is ok. In less urgent situations the student will receive a “care” conversation and then be discussed and assessed during monthly SAT meetings.  

What happens to the student under the SAT Team?
If the SAT Team determines a student is appropriate for monitoring, the student will be added to a list of students discussed at each SAT Team meeting. A course of action is outlined and then reviewed during the subsequent meeting. Usually a team member will be responsible for contacting the student to initiate appropriate support and response. The SAT team monitors reports, checking for patterns of alarming behavior, patterns of concern by multiple reporters and/or violations of the SCC Code of Conduct.

How do I know if it is a SAT Team issue or if it is more appropriately handled by other campus resources?
You do not have to make this determination. The most critical step is that you report the concern using the Student Concern Portal. All reports are channeled through the Dean of Students office and if another campus resource is more appropriate, the Dean of Students will refer the student and handle the transfer of information.

What about confidentiality?
We can never promise confidentiality when life safety is an issue, but we will make every effort to treat each case with discretion. School officials may be required to report situations involving threats to safety.

For help with the accessibility of this website, please use this form.